City Island (2009)

Another movie I thought would be lame when I first saw it; but just like with books, you can't judge a movie by it's DVD box.  City Island was one of the few drama movies that really keeps the story flowing.

The film is all about the convoluted, lie-filled lives of the Rizzos.  Every single family member has a massive secret that no one else knows about.   The daughter is a professional stripper, the dad goes to acting lessons under the guise of playing poker games; and everyone secretly smokes whenever no one else is looking.  When the father discovers that a new in-mate at the jail he works at is his 24 year old son from a wife he ran away from years ago, everything spirals into complete and utter chaos. 

The movie is primarily drama, but the director did such a good job with pacing it really keeps the ball rolling.  Every 10 minutes another twist or lie is built up or knocked down.  It really is a fascinating look at how quickly lies can overwhelm even a small group of people.  Usually this genre of movie throws a disappointing ending at you, but City Island ends it with a nuclear explosion of theatrics.

I usually prefer action or sci-fi, but this was definitely worth the watch.  The complex story combined with the really well done characters and crazy web of intrigue should entertain just about anyone.

City Island earns a 3/5 for an interesting somewhat unique storyline.  

Comments

  1. Ill check it out and yea they could have gone for a better box cover. It looks so dry and unoriginal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool post bro!
    check both my blogs are interesting! ;)
    suppin can u rtrn pls?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds pretty awesome lol I like the secrets/twist bit.. reminds me of Royal Tenenbaums a bit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pick. Also yeh do a 5 star review. And don't be too generous with the 5's :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I followed. Hit me back please

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this movie back then it was meh :/ didnt really enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  7. doesn't really sound like my cup of tea =/

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like fun!

    check out my new blog, The Stepback Fadeaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. dont judge the movie by the dvd box xD

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmm, City Island, mite try one day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great, Andy Garcia is a good actor, I'll rent this movie today Wednesday, wait a minute, today is Thursday, lol. Well, I'll rent it anyway, good blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this one looks pretty interesting, i guess ill go check it out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good review, I might check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is a cool blog i will definitely check this out a lot

    ReplyDelete
  15. Only a 7/10? Hm, what would make it better then....

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a good thing going here :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. worth a watch I think. box art kind put me off but I'll chance it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Eli (2010)