Invictus (2009)


 When I first saw this movie come in, I honestly didn't think much of it.  It looked like one of those generic sports movies that are constantly released.  After hearing some customers talk about it though, I started to actually look forward to renting it (I can't rent for 3 weeks after a movie is first released).

I brought it home thinking it was going to be a soccer movie with political undertones.   I was definitely surprised.  The movie was primarily political, with rugby as the side focus.  The acting was top notch though, with Morgan Freeman playing Malcolm X.  It was a little strange hearing him with an accent, but he did a really good job of it. 

It's a slower movie.  Don't pick it up expecting a lot of action.  Some of the rugby scenes are pretty amazing, but coming from a stupid American like myself who has never seen a real rugby game, I could just be amazed at nothing special.

So if you are looking for a good story, this relatively accurate account of the life of Nelson Mandella after his prison time should provide a good hour and a half of entertainment.

Invictus earns a 3/5 for being an excellent drama movie, but still being a bit slow.

Comments

  1. This movie was good, wasn't great but it really did capture all important parts of what really happen in South Africa and Mandela. great blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt Damon <3 i love this movie !

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post! i like it very much;)
    supportin you & follow you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's this? I thought I'd seen every Morgan Freeman movie out there, but I've never even heard of this movie. Might have to give it a look now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i feel the same way about sports movies. maybe this will change my mind. i doubt it, but i will give your suggestion a spin!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Eli (2010)

City Island (2009)