How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

I watch a ton of movies, and the majority of them are forgotten within a week.  I don't know what it is with Pixar and Dreamworks though... they use some cerebral memory adhesive to really make things stick.  How to Train Your Dragon falls into this category.  I actually saw this in I-Max 3D when it came out, which for me, moves even lowly films up a few notches.  For movies like "How to Train Your Dragon", it makes them all the more epic.

The story is your typical "boy befriends wild animal" thing we have seen countless times before, but replace wild animal with Dragon (I think that has been done a few times before too...).  It primarily follows Hiccup, a viking wanna-be who in comparison to the rest of his "class" is a mouse being chased around by jaguars.  The clan he lives with is completely anti dragon, and suffer constant raids from a nearby nest of them.  During one raid, he manages to knock the legendary Night Fury out of the sky with a makeshift cannon.  Fast forward, and he ends up befriending the dragon he felled, and has to hide it from everyone else "kid with a stray dog" style. 

The visuals in this movie are nuts, and this is even after renting it and re-watching it on my small 36inch TV.  Sure it isn't as amazing as the massive I-max screen, but it still manages to pull of that epic feeling of flight with it's superb musical scores and crazy use of height.  If you have even the slightest interest in CGI movies, this is definitely one to pick up.

How to Train Your Dragon gets a 5/5 for proving that a movie doesn't need I-Max and 30 surround sound speakers to still be epic.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Eli (2010)

City Island (2009)